Thursday, February 17, 2011

I have revoked my fanhood for the Utah Jazz

I still remember the day Jerry Sloan was hired as the Utah Jazz head coach. I was at day care and my father told. While I had no idea who Jerry Sloan was he has become as big of a part of my sports life as any other individual. While I don't believe Deron Williams is the reason Jerry Sloan stepped away from the game of basketball, he is certainly a contributing factor.
Jerry Sloan is the "Original Bull". Sloan is a legend for the old school way to play ball. His toughness and effort are second to none. When taking over for Frank Layden Jerry Sloan brought the same toughness to the profession. I will miss him calling referees words I can never repeat. When his current players stopped caring they way he does, especially his star point guard, Sloan was finally finished.
Jerry, I too have stepped away from the Utah Jazz while Deron Williams, and his team mates figure out how to play with effort, heart, and determination. Where is the Deron from the first round of last years playoffs? Deron willed his team to victory against a better team in Denver without Okur or Kirilenko. Deron was the Player of the Month in the Western Conference in November. The Jazz had swept a four game road trip in Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, and Atlanta. The Jazz went 1-3 on that same road trip last year. In a loss to the Celtics this year Deron was 1 for 5 from the floor with 8 points. 8 POINTS!!!! Are you kidding me? You are an all-star. I understand points but 5 shots? Deron, if your team is getting beat by 15+ points and you can see Millsap, Jefferson, and Miles are not playing well then shoot the ball. Let the rest of the team see you will not stand for this. Jerry could not see that in you so he left. At least he gave you the benefit of the doubt. I left three weeks ago.
Deron Williams did not cause Jerry Sloan to leave his post as the longest tenured coach in professional sports. Deron Williams and his teams effort did. The Utah Jazz are a pipe dream away from an NBA championship. Sloan makes more than 4 million a year so money had nothing to do with it. He is a simple farmer from the middle Illinois. The Jazz players lack of effort and care is what cause a legend to retire.
When the Jazz start to play hard they will earn my attention. I have been called a fair weather fan and I am alright with that. I am a great sports fan and I love everything about it. I love the egos, I love the money, I love the attention, I love the hype, I love the pageantry of rivalries, I love the heart break, and I love the celebration that comes with victory. I love to see another person who cheers for the opponent. You look them in the eye without saying anything and they know you got them tonight. Deron Williams...Please care for my fanhood and the rest of Jazz nation. You are our hope for a championship in the next ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment